[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
thatBreweryGame.com • View topic - Umlaut my Kolsch

Umlaut my Kolsch

Share your all grain recipies

Umlaut my Kolsch

Postby ShoreWoodBrew » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:49 pm

I've brewed 5 different variations of this to hone in on this recipe. It gets brewed once or twice a year and disappears fast. Hope you try it and enjoy it.

Malt:
4 lbs Weyerman Pilsner
4 lbs Global Kolsch
6 oz malted white wheat
4 oz carapils
10 oz Honey (clover is what I've used)

Hops:
0.5 oz German Tradition, first wort hop
0.5 oz German Tradition, 60 min
1 oz Hersbrucker, 30 min

Yeast: 3 qt starter with WY2565 (yeast very important with this style)

Use soft water and aim for low end of required Ca and Mg. you may need to add a couple mL of 88% lactic acid to bring mash pH below 5.6 (or use a little acid malt).

Est OG: 1.050, Est FG: 1:009

Mash at 153 for 60 min, mash out to 170, and sparge. Boil for 90 minutes. Honey is added with 1 min to flameout. Chill wort to 56, pitch decanted yeast starter, and set temp controller to 58. When airlock activity slows (5-7 days in), raise to 65 for two days. Chill in primary to 40f, 3-4 degrees drop per day. Hydrate 1 Knox gelatin packet and add to empty secondary. Rack beer into secondary and lager for 3 weeks at 35F. Give additional time if not cleared yet. Rack to packaging.

Cheers!
ShoreWoodBrew

Re: Umlaut my Kolsch

Postby riverbottom » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm

shore have you tried wlp 029? the german kolsch yeast from white labs? i plan on doing a kolsch soon, and thats the one i planned to use.
riverbottom

Re: Umlaut my Kolsch

Postby ShoreWoodBrew » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03 pm

No I've been so happy with WY2565, I haven't tried the WLP one yet. I do know that with that one, you ferment a little warmer, like 62-64F. If you do use it, post up your results.

Maybe it isn't such a stubborn flocc'r like the WYeast one is, but I think they are both similar that way. Thats the only negative I see with the Kolsch yeast. Great flavor though. Also works really well in Altbiers (Ive made two). And I'm going to make a pseudo lager Dunkel with the Kolsch yeast this weekend, but I'll ferment at 55 or 56, as low as she goes.

There is also a WY2575 Kolsch II, thats only offered in limited times, but haven't snagged it yet.
ShoreWoodBrew

Return to All grain recipes