[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
thatBreweryGame.com • View topic - belgian dubbel extract

belgian dubbel extract

Share your extract recipes

belgian dubbel extract

Postby riverbottom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 pm

5 gallon recipe
extract with specialty grains
o.g. 1.084
f.g. 1.008
alc. 10.6%
ibu: 17

steeping grains:

4 oz belgian aromatic
4 oz belgian special B
4 oz caravienne

fermentables:

1 lb. belgian candi syrup amber (d-45)
1 lb. belgian candi syrup dark (d-90)
8 lb. pale dme

hops:

.75 oz tettnanger (60mins)
.75 oz styrian golding (60 mins)
.5 oz saaz (10 mins)

yeast:

white labs wlp500 trappist ale with a 700 ml starter

steep grains in 3.5 gallons of water until it begins to boil - remove steeping bag and add fermentables and 60 minute hops. boil for 50 minutes and add 10 minute hops. after 60 minutes boil remove from heat - add water to 5 gallons and cool as fast as possible to 64 degrees and pitch yeast starter. primary fermenter for 4-6 days - rack to secondary for 21 days or until final gravity is reached. this yeast was extremely active during the first few days make sure to use a blowoff hose as an airlock will be across the room the next morning.

notes:
-i used standard brewing sugar at bottling.
-this took minimum 6 weeks in the bottle at room temperature to really condition to a good flavor. benefits from a long bottle conditioning period.
-if i were to make this again i would only use a half pound of both the candi syrups (possibly use candi sugar instead). a pound of each added a great mix of color and belgian dubbel flavors but it bumped the alcohol way higher than i wanted.
-i also want to experiment with white labs wlp530 abbey ale yeast next time or the wyeast 3522 ardennes strain. would appreciate any feedback on those strains if youve used them.
riverbottom

Return to Extract recipes